Thursday, November 15, 2007

Little girl, big steps


So the jet lag is gone, though the sleep deprivation is still here. We've been trying to get Eliza to sleep through the night since we came back but she's not too keen on that. I think I've been losing more sleep trying to resettle her than if I just got up and fed her. At least it seems to be down to just one feed a night though, and the BIG change is that she's sleeping in her own room, in her cot/crib, without a dummy and without being swaddled or fed to sleep! I'm very proud of her, and it was actually less painful than I thought it would be. We did a form of controlled crying (or the new, nicer name: progressive settling - kind of like calling short people vertically challenged). So I would let her cry for about three minute intervals between going in and reassuring her, but I wasn't meant to pick her up and nurse her back to sleep. She has a little stuffed dog, Gertie, in with her and the first morning after a few tears in the night I snuck into the nursery to find her clutching Gertie in one fist and the bars of her crib in the other. Just about broke my heart.
Tommorrow I'm finally going to break down and buy the kid a high chair. As you can see I've been tempting fate feeding her on our white sofa. Especially since her favourite foods of the moment are mashed avocado and mashed sweet potato. Soon it will be a greenish-orange sofa.

No comments: