Tuesday, May 8, 2007

The Waiting Game

My bags are packed, I'm ready to go....I've finished my last freelance article commissioned and turned in my masters thesis...the gear is all set up and the house is clean and the freezer is stocked. What do I do now? I know, I know, rest, read, relax, enjoy my last days (weeks?) of freedom etc, etc. But somehow I find myself wishing I'd left more things to the last minute. The thing about being prepared is you get impatient. I don't want to start any new projects, I don't want to watch any daytime TV. I wanna get this show on the road!
I think I talked to too many first time mothers who came early. Like one friend who was ten days early. Or my own mother, who was two weeks early with me. Though that was a planned caesarian, which she had two weeks early for tax reasons (still getting counselling for that one:)).
So I made sure I was prepared. But really, I should have left a few things to the last week...after all most women are late with their first babies. And I'm no good at the waiting game.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now's the time to read all those books you haven't had a chance to (and don't need to write a review of)--you will get little opportunity for such uninterrupted time after the baby's born.

Or start a letter to your unborn child--maybe trying to verbalize your short-term and long-term goals as a parent!

And though you were early (I don't think it was two weeks--probably more like one), your sister was 17 days late! And if it hadn't been for the C section, she might have NEVER come out.

Love,
Mom

Bianca Nogrady said...

Oh, poor thing. Nothing worse than waiting, especially for something this big. My ultimate time killer when I'm waiting is reading and cooking. Although that's assuming i don't have something the size of a beach ball getting in the way all the time! I like the idea of a letter to your child.

Anonymous said...

Good luck to all of you. Can't wait to hear the good news.

Love,

Aunt Susie

Anonymous said...

I'm no good at patience either. I've never been able to wait until my birthday to open my presents. Hopeless! Maybe watch some DVDs - I'd find that more distracting than reading.

It's all very exciting, though. Can't wait to hear from you when you've had the baby. You must let me know.

natalie
xxx