My spirited and wonderful grandma Lorraine passed away on Sunday, and though it has been coming for awhile it still is hard to bear. Worst is not being able to go to her funeral, but at least Simon and I were able to say goodbye when we visited her in Omaha last year. This is in memory of her:
Growing up, my friends had grandmothers who knit, baked cookies and drank tea. Mine rode a motorcycle, smoked and drank martinis.
Grandma Lorraine was no rocking chair grandma. Some of my friends also had grandmas that send them cards saying “Jesus Loves You”, but they didn’t open them up to read “Everyone Else Thinks You’re an Asshole”. No one else had a grandma with a T-shirt that said “Fill it up to here with martinis” – with a line just above the breasts. For my friends, visiting grandma’s house didn’t mean getting their fingernails lacquered, learning to play (and later drink) gin and having frank discussions about sex.
My friends did visit their grandmothers on Thanksgiving, but they didn’t end up spending the holiday in Tijuana drinking margaritas. Grandma Lorraine and I did. I was in college, my parents were living overseas and grandma invited me out to California so that neither of us would be lonely. She used to love telling the story of how the woman at the bus stop near the Mexican border invited us to eat Thanksgiving turkey at the local shelter. “We’re not homeless, my granddaughter is a vegetarian,” was grandma’s quick retort.
Grandma’s sense of humour was legendary. At my college graduation, I have a photo of her flashing a peace sign with one hand, a beer in the other, wearing a tie dyed Grateful Dead t-shirt that she borrowed from my closet. At my bridal shower, the photos show her modelling the gifts of lingerie (over her clothes, fortunately). She loved to be the centre of attention and never missed an opportunity to play the clown. But she also had that knack of making the people around her feel loved and special – she would hold your hand and tell you how much you meant to her. Or pinch your cheek and tell you that you had beautiful eyes. She was incredibly generous with her money, her time and her affection. Whether it was taking all the kids and grandkids on vacation, financing our college educations or sending us the free gifts that came in cereal boxes, I knew there wasn’t anything she wouldn’t do for us.
Grandma Lorraine lived a long, rich, and spirited life and brought so much colour and laughter to the lives of people around her. My friends with the more traditional grandmas couldn’t help but fall in love with her too. She was like that. She charmed people.
It’s hard to believe that she is gone. That I’ll never again point out the lipstick on her teeth and be rewarded with a wink. Never hear the clinking ice as she makes a martini, or her voice pleading with me to massage her aching feet (the going rate was five cents a minute). She’ll never again sing to me that funny, sad song about the little bisque doll: “I’ve got a pain in my sawdust/ That’s what’s the matter with me/ Something is wrong with my little inside/ I’m just as sick as can be”.
In the end, like the little bisque doll, Grandma Lorraine was as sick as could be, and she didn’t hesitate to let you know about it. She was ready to die, she was tired of being old and in pain. I never got to introduce her to my daughter, Eliza, who was born last month, but young Eliza will grow up with stories of her wonderful, wild great-grandma Lorraine. I would be delighted if some of that fearless and feisty spirit was passed along.
5 comments:
Oh missy, I'm so sorry to hear your amazing grandma has passed away. I remember hearing tales of her at AusDoc and thinking "what a woman!". I think some of that spirit has definitely been passed on and lives strong in you, so no doubt Eliza will get a good dose of it as well. Grandmas can be so precious - I've been blessed with two feisty, fantastic ones - and so hard to let go of. Sending you lots of hugs to comfort you. lv, Bianca
Oh Eleanor, I'm so sorry our Grandma Lorraine stories have come to an end. Though, I do have a feeling that if anyone can keep making new stories even after their bodies run out, she will. I'll keep my ears tuned for the clink of martini glasses or a faint whisper approving of my choice of lox from the great beyond. I wish I could give you a hug.
Eleanor--
That is wonderful. I've laughed and cried reading it! I wish you, Simon, and Eliza were here.
Love,
Mom
Honey, that was beautiful! Your writing always amazes us with its grace. Miss you.
Love, Aunt Susie
Aunt Nancy read this at Grandma's funeral. It was really special. I also mentioned to Aunt Nancy I can't wait to meet you again!
Cousin Dave
Post a Comment