Friday, December 21, 2007

Doh!

So yesterday I was actually going to update my blog, dear readers, and I had made myself a cup of tea, set Eliza on the floor with some toys, and made myself comfy on the sofa. I should mention that I had both the cup of tea and the laptop sitting on the arm of the sofa. Eliza, in her big rush to crawl and get her hands on everything, got stuck headfirst on the wrong side of a pillow and started to cry. Being a good mother, I stood up to rescue her and promptly spilled the entire cup of scalding tea on the keyboard of my laptop and down my lap. Of course, on my computer are all of my photos of Eliza, my masters thesis, innumerable writing projects which I have been working on etcetera. The only one of which I had backed up was my thesis. As Simon said (basically) "You idiot. Why haven't you been backing up." Which wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear, but I have to admit he was right.
So yesterday Eliza and I spent the afternoon in the Apple repair centre, begging them to save my hard drive and prioritize us among the pre-Christmas rush. It helps to have a cute baby when you ask for these sorts of things. Eliza thought the place was great, being a big lover of keyboards, mouses, cords, and things that she's not meant to touch.
The upshot is that they have rescued my hard drive but the rest of the computer is kaput. So they are currently installing the old hard drive on a new ibook, which we have invested in an external hard drive in order to back up EVERYTHING.
It was a damned expensive cup of tea. And yes, a very stupid thing to do.

2 comments:

Marketing Mommy said...

Better to scald your keyboard than your child...

Nancy said...

I am SO glad they were able to save your hard drive. But having it contain the ONLY copy of your novel and pictures is asking for disaster. I suggest you get a little thumb USB drive and keep the pictures and novel on it as well as the hard drive (and you should still backup the whole thing regularly on an external drive).