Friday, April 27, 2007

Good gout!

Well, it turns out my attempt at self-diagnosis went array and I actually have gout. That's right, the disease of old men who drink too much port. The seemingly-dodgy medical centre doctor last night suspected it, and then my GP confirmed it this morning. She thinks it has something to do with pregnancy doing wierd stuff to my body (not her exact words, but close). Fortunately she got me in to see a specialist on Monday, and until then gave me a few pregnancy-safe pain relievers, because otherwise I was going to have to perform some self amputation. It is really painful. Like can't sleep, foot throbbing, going mad painful. I was even practising my birth-breathing at three o' clock this morning. Someone told me that three of the most painful things you can experience are kidney stones, gout and childbirth. I'm going for two in two weeks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Hope the specialist gives you some relief but unfortunately Monday is a long way off. You are already sacrificing for your child!

Love, Aunt Sus

Marketing Mommy said...

Poor you! I Googled pregnancy and gout and didn't any relevant links, so it sounds like you're a pretty unique case. At least one of the treatments for gout is losing weight--and you'll be doing that really soon!