Thursday, March 8, 2007

Drat!

I might have figured out who's stealing the eggs, though I'm still a little skeptical. Simon was out in the garden yesterday when he saw a rat in the chicken's pen. I think he made a halfhearted attempt to go after it with a shovel handle, but it scurried off.
Rats! Supposedly this is quite common when you keep chickens, they like to hang around for the feed and scraps the chickens get. Still, not something you want in the garden. Then I started to wonder if perhaps the rat(s?) were taking eggs. So with the wonders of the internet, I did some research and found that rats are sometimes known to steal eggs. But it's a tag-team effort. And I don't know if I believe it. Here's a diagram of how said rats steal eggs

What the heck? If I see that going on in my backyard, I'm not calling the exterminator, I'm calling the circus. In the meantime, any rat-ridding suggestions welcomed.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Interestingly, I can't see the rat stealing eggs diagram/picture and even your latest pregnancy photo is now blocked at work:
Department of State
Access Denied (content_filter_denied)

Your request was denied because of its content categorization: "Adult/Sexually Explicit"

Your URL was http://bp2.blogger.com/_nLerVWjk-dQ/ReuKCkLPsBI/AAAAAAAAAA8/OT8IidzQvBQ/s1600-h/IMG_1342.JPG

For assistance, contact the InfoCenter at 202-647-7760

Now, I SAW the pregnancy picture and it was anything but sexually explicit. I wonder about the rat!

Unknown said...

haha! we used to have rats around our hen house too...i'll have to ask my dad what remedies work the best. recently they had a skunk under the house and they got it by blaring country music and 400 watt bulbs all night! something to think about:) just be greatful your rats are only big enough to steal eggs, the rats here in dc could haul off your baby...:) -evelyn