Sunday, March 4, 2007

Reading Lolita in Sydney



Okay, so I didn't just pick it up again for a little light reading, it's part of my writing seminar, but it is such an experience to open Lolita again. Never has an author left me so amazed while making me simultaneously cringe as much as Nabokov does. The man is a genius with words: the "biscuity" smell of his first girl-lover (back when he was a boy as well); the utter creepiness yet hopelessness of Humbert Humbert, with his passion for "girleens"; and lines like the following:
"'Wow! Looks swank,' remarked my vulgar darling squinting at the stucco as she crept out into the audible drizzle and with a childish hand tweaked loose the frock-fold that had stuck in her peach-cleft"

2 comments:

Josh said...

If you're enjoying reading "Lolita" again, you should really dive into the annotated edition, which will bring you to a whole new level of respect for the guy. Along the same lines, you should pick up Stacy Schiff's fascinating biography of Nabokov's wife, Vera, who played a remarkable, essential role in his creative life. Your mom, if memory recalls, gave up on the book pretty early, but I bet you'd like it. Two geniuses, basically. She edited all his major works and even TAd his classes at Cornell.

Eleanor Limprecht said...

Stacy Shiff's bio sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out. I do have the annotated version this time around (not the one in the photo i posted, but i couldn't find an image of it online). It's something, though I must admit I only read about half the annotations.